Welcome to the OpenShift Developer Spotlight where we try get to know the members of the OpenShift community a little better. Interested in being featured? Apply here.
View the Developer Spotlight page to see past entries and the Application Gallery to check out the cool apps the OpenShift Community is building.
Name: Leonty Belskiy
Hometown: Warsaw, Poland
Primary development language(s): Java
Technology you're most interested in right now: Java EE
Application currently hosted on OpenShift: fitmaestro.com and labortm.com
Technologies used: LaborTM: Java EE, Drools, Spring framework, Hibernate, html/css/js, maven
What's it do?
Fitmaestro: Application is exercise/fitness planning and progress measuring tool.
LaborTM: Time tracking application for small businesses.
What motivated you to create the application?
I needed a way to plan my exercises and keep log entry in digital form instead of writing it on paper.
I noticed that there is a need for small businesses to have a simple way to track employee worktime and calculate pay and overtime pay. It was also a great way to familiarize myself with Drools rule engine.
What are the most compelling features of OpenShift?
- Use of git. I use it anyway as my VCS. Executing all deployment with git hooks is just wonderful.
- Maven support for Java applications - dependencies are resolved automatically, so deploying my application to live just takes 1 command to run.
- App server environment - it's like having VPS but with everything already installed and configured.
What are some features you'd like to see in OpenShift?
- More features in web panel to match rhc.
- For now at least the ability to add/remove aliases and restart application.
- Managing cartridges after installation
- Ability to see/change cartridge info after creation - things like usernames/passwords.