Welcome to the OpenShift Developer Spotlight where we get to know the members of the OpenShift community a little better and show off their skills as developers.
Interested in being featured? Apply here or view past entries.
- Name: Elena Kolevska
- Twitter: @elena_kolevska
- Blog: blog.elenakolevska.com
- Hometown: Kumanovo
What is your primary Development Language?
What inspired you to be a developer?
Curiosity? I guess... I don't know, I was very young (16) and one of my school mates brought "Visual Basic 6 for dummies" to school one day. I started developing a weather app, planning to sell it to a local television so they could use it in their weather forecast program
What programming language did you learn first?
Visual Basic 6, followed by Pascal
What tools do you use the most often for development? (Operating system, IDE, etc)
Fedora 19 (we have a deep & profound love to each other), Sublime 3, Guake with many custom aliases, SmartGitHg + cli for git, Composer, Bower, Grunt. Was about to dive deeper into Vagrant, but after your announced partnership with Docker that's changing...
What is your favorite development stack? (OS/language/server/database)
Why did you choose OpenShift as your hosting platform?
Because I like Red Hat, I love my Fedora, OpenShift has a soft learning curve, it's damn fast, it has a decent free account and their support is friendly.
What advantages does OpenShift give you that other hosting platforms don't?
It's really easy to get started, it has a nice community, your support team hunts down Openshift questions even on StackOverflow and answers them. Who else does that? And we get 3 super fast gears for free!
What are some features you'd like to see in OpenShift?
DNS hosting and please, please a global Composer install
Tell us more about your application currently hosted on openshift:
- Name: www.sportbook.com.vc
- What does it do? Sportbook.com.vc is an application for the psychological evaluation of athletes.
- What technologies were used to create your app? Laravel, MySql
- What motivated you to create this application and what problems does it solve? The client (sport psychologist) had developed a system for evaluation, based on her long experience, but she was doing all the work manually. Working together we got to a beta product where athletes can sign up for a profile, answer a bunch of questions divided in 4 different tests and view their evaluations at the end. Above the automatic scoring lies an extra level which is the psychologist's (personalized) evaluation.
- What new features do you have planned for this application and will they implement any new technologies within OpenShift? Sportbook.com.vc is going to slowly grow in a social network for athletes, the LinkedIn of the Sport World.